Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Is the sword of the spirit refined by fire?

A young mother stood up in church and asked for prayer.

She explained that she had been suffering with pain in her arm, just months away from graduating college; she faced a diagnosis that could not only force her to drop out of school, but permanently disable her.

As she asked for prayer to fight off her circumstances, my mind began to drift to my own struggles. The Lord seemed to answer my questions, by painting this picture deep in my spirit.

What if the sword could speak? Would he cry out to his master, “No, don’t put me in the fire! I won’t go. It hurts.”?

Yet, it is only the fire that brings cold steal to a place where it can be molded into a useful tool in the hand of its master.

As I stand in the fire, and the hammer of life beats my heart into submission to accept what I cannot change, will I refuse to allow the fire to mold it?

Would not the real tragedy to be put in a fire, to be brought to a place beyond endurance, and come out unchanged?

If we want to be refined, changed, and made into the image of Christ, we must trust that our lives are in the hands of the Master, who loves us, and wants us to fully become what he has designed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a powerful message! Your words have touched me deeply today. Thanks for sharing them.

I know Sarah from her time in WI. Your family has been in my prayers often since Dan's accident.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Glad you took time to check on us. We covet your prayers.

Unknown said...

Oh... so often I pray, "Change me or remove me." Really wanting to be removed.... but if I must stay -- AT LEAST CHANGE ME!!

Thanks to Angela for sending me over here... very good post! Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

I know. We all do that. We want real change in our life. But, no one WANTS to pay the price of hardship or sorrow.

When I was young, I thought that it would only take the water of baptism to refine me. I have since found that while water comes with new birth and washes sins, it is through the trials of fire we truly grow in the way we desire most.

When we are weak, He is strong. So in our weakest hour, He comes to us and builds His strength within us.

The Smith's said...

Rhonda, I have been reading your page ever since I knew it was here. Your words and your wisdom make me want to learn more and know more and be the follower in Christ I know I am to be.

You might know me as Heather Sawyer. I was in the pageant with Chelsea and Kelly.

I want you to know that I get on here just to read things over and over and I feel closer to God as I read them. I wanted to Thank You for making me stronger. I continue to pray for your family as well as the Binions. You are all so great and I look up to you. Thank you again

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather!

I am so glad to know you stop by. Thank you. You brightened my day.