Sunday, July 20, 2008

In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice

Give ear to my word O Lord, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray.

In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice: in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. Psalm 5:1-3


There are few things more refreshing to me than the cool early morning air of summer. The sun is not yet in full force, and the breeze is most always cool. The sounds of the birds fill the air, seldom interrupted by motors or voice. It’s a time to listen.

I’ve found many scriptures reference seeking God in the morning. I understand why. I have begun to read the Psalms in the morning; it’s my daily prescription for strength.

Early morning is also when I water the garden.

This week I had to water well. One morning I was moving the sprinkler around the yard every so often, in hopes that I would get it all watered before noon.

I should have known something was amiss when little boys began coming in the house with wet heads.

Sure enough, when I went out to move the water, it was spraying straight up like a fountain. Next to it were two wet little boys.

We had to make a new rule: We water Grandma’s flowers in the morning and little boys in the afternoon.

It makes sense. We water plants early in the morning so they will have the nourishment they need to withstand the heat of the day. We too need nourishment of the living water of God to withstand the trials a new day brings.

No comments: