Monday, September 1, 2008

Catching up





A lot has happened since my last post, I apologize for not keeping up. Between a house full of the flu, the wedding and a traveling computer, it's been nearly impossible. Now at long last our PC issues are resolved, the chaos of the wedding is over, and I can catch up, and begin a new routine.

I had spoken too soon. After my last post, I went to bed and woke up early with the flu…the Tuesday before the wedding—mother of the bride knocked out cold.
Three days to go
At first most everyone we counted on to help stayed clear of us-- as they should. A few brave souls came in later in the week and made all the difference in the world.

Brian came over that Tuesday and talked to Emily in the yard. (Deb told him to stay out of the house.) He asked her what he could do outside to help us get the house ready for the wedding. She told him I was worried about the porch.

I was. It was in sore need of paint, and there was a hole in the floor that had been there ever since we bought the house 12 years ago.

Emily crept into my room a few hours later, too excited to wait till I was coherent. She wanted me to see what Brian had done. I vaguely remember her telling me that he tore of the siding. She said it was beautiful! I took her word for it and rolled over.

I soon learned that Brian and I have different ideas of what is worrisome. He was more worried about the porch falling off the house, than paint.

The next day, while Hannah and I surveyed the yard and the work yet to be done, she asked in a very soft measured voice, “Are you worried that its three days before the wedding and the front porch is missing?”

I really wasn’t. I told her we may have paint brushes in hand the day of the wedding, but it will all be done. Besides, it wasn’t missing. It was in the front yard.

I have had a strange lack of stress and panic over this wedding. Not that there wasn’t plenty to stress over. I think its just system overload. There are only so many emotions you can handle at once.

Besides, when it comes right down to it, most problems seem to pale in light of the past three months. We have gained a new perspective.

Once again, the church pulled together, lifted us and carried us through, and gave Hannah and Travis a beautiful wedding in the garden.

No comments: