Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The narrow path that divides peace and despair



This morning I write from Brian and Debby’s front porch. Their country home is so peaceful. The trees sing to you. There is a small cardinal that has come to visit, or perhaps he thinks I have come to visit.

I hoped it would be here that I would find the words to describe the way I have been feeling.

It is as though we are walking in slow motion along a narrow path. Sometimes the path is rugged, and we struggle to simply put one foot in front of the other. To my right, there is a steep drop overlooking a vast blue sea of calm water. It is cool and inviting. The wind blowing over the water whispers to me. It tells me of the man I never knew in the boy I lost. It reminds me of his long hugs, his sparkling smile and what might have been. It tells me to come in and wade through these waters.

But the Holy Spirit squeezes my hand, pulls me back, and gently forbid me…for in those waters are the depths of despair. I am only allowed to look over those waters, but never to wade through them.

The Holy Spirit reminds me to keep my eyes on Him, and He gently turns my head from the sea of hopelessness. He comforts us with drops of joy that follows streams of tears, and bursts of laughter in the midst of sorrow. The journey through these emotions is exhausting.

Even so, I know we must continue to put one foot in front of the other, and stay on this path one step at a time. My heart holds His assurance that we will not be washed away by a sea of despair; instead, if we keep our eyes on Him, he will lead us to peace, and make all things new.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Rhonda & Mike,
Dale & I continue to pray for you daily! Please send us your mailing address! And just keep journaling, it's good therapy for all!!!
Love Always In Christ, Yvonne & Dale

BRENDA said...

RHONDA & MIKE
I'M SO THANKFUL THAT TOMMY IS DOING BETTER AND THE SURGERY WENT WELL. YOU AND THE KIDS ARE IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS EVERYDAY. I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE STILL WRITING. I LOVE TO READ YOUR STORIES, THEY ARE SO HEALING TO ME ALSO. YOU ARE SUCH A WONDERFUL MOM AND DANNY IS WATCHING OVER YOU EVERYDAY,AS HE SOARS IN THE HEAVENS!
LOVE YOU, COUSIN BRENDA SUE

kimcnmcpm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kimcnmcpm said...

Rhonda,

Thanks for writing your thoughts, they give me insight into how to pray for you and your family. Enjoy this time of celebration of the upcoming wedding to minister to you in the midst of your sorry.

We continue to look for updates each day, and to pray for all of you.

Love in Jesus,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Rhonda
Your words, as always, are very moving. Few of us know what you are going through, or how you manage to make it through each day. But, you do..like you said, by putting one foot in front of the other. Continue to take one step at a time and find comfort and healing in Him. I hope you find some peace and comfort while away.

Sending love and prayers
Love, Paula Jean

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration to a heartbroken mother. Through your words I can start to heal and try to stay off that path of despair that is so so dark. God Bless you for your gift of yourself.